1 pound mild or hot Italian sausage links (or Pederson’s Natural Farms Italian Sausage)
2 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large celery ribs, diced or thinly sliced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound red or yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, or more to taste
½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
¼ tsp. black pepper
8-10 cups chicken broth, depending on how ‘brothy’ you like it
1 small head kale, washed and torn into small pieces
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add ghee or olive oil. When oil starts to shimmer, add onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and mushrooms are soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning and black pepper and continue to cook an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook sausage links in a skillet. Cool slightly then slice into rounds.
- When potatoes and carrots are tender, add cooked sausage and kale. Stir and simmer additional 3 minutes or until sausage is warmed through and kale is wilted
- Remove from heat and serve with chopped parsley and/or parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe source: therealfoodrds