- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup strong coffee, really hot
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your doughnut pan (if using non-stick, skip this step).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the cocoa powder and the 1/2 cup of boiling hot coffee, stir till combined.
- Now, using a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the milk, egg, and peppermint extract and whisk with a fork till fully combined. In another small bowl, melt the 1 ounce of chocolate.
- Make a well in the flour with your fist and add the cocoa powder/coffee mixture, then the milk mixture, and last the melted chocolate. Stir with a wooden spoon till all the ingredients are incorporated. The dough should be thick, but wet enough to easily pour into a pastry bag. If the dough is thick and dry, add a tablespoon or more of milk to get it somewhat gooey and pourable.
- Pour half of the batter into a pastry bag with a large round tip attached.
- Fill the doughnut pan with the batter, leaving about 1/4 inch of pan space from the top of batter to the edge of the pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 3 minutes. Loosen the sides with a sharp knife and re-locate the doughnuts to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Chop and melt the 10 ounces of chocolate once all the doughnuts are baked and cool to touch. Lay out a large sheet of wax paper. Dip both sides of the doughnuts into the chocolate and set onto the wax paper to harden. Once the chocolate has hardened, enjoy!
Recipe source: stickyspatula