- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb extra firm or super firm tofu, cut into ~3/4" cubes
- 4-6 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1 cup panko style bread crumbs (can use gluten free)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb pasta (can use gluten free)
- Easy Romesco Sauce
- parsley or other fresh herbs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 ºF. Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet and spread to coat.
- Put the tofu cubes in a large mixing bowl and toss with 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) corn starch to fully coat the tofu. Add 1-2 tbsp more corn starch if the tofu still looks damp. Pour in the plant milk and gently stir to coat to make a sticky tofu.
- Mix together the bread crumbs, salt, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, and black pepper in a small bowl. Either dip each of the sticky coated tofu cubes into the bread crumbs and place on the greased baking tray, or for a sloppier coating pour the breadcrumb mixture into the mixing bowl and gently stir to get the tofu mostly coated. Transfer the tofu to a baking tray. Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil over the top of the tofu.
- Bake the tofu for 20-25 minutes flipping after 15 minutes. It's done when crispy! Toast the bread crumbs in a second baking tray for about 10 minutes until crispy and golden.
- While the tofu bakes, make the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot to toss with romesco sauce. Serve and top with the crispy tofu and the crispy bread crumbs plus a garnish of parsley.
Recipe source: thecuriouschickpea